Saturday the 17th I woke up feeling like it was going to crappy day. It was 11:20 am and I was down in the play room with Wells. Jamey and Drew were napping, I get a call from Melanie and she is hysterical. She tells me that she just got a phone call from emergency response telling her that Nick is being life flighted to IMC hospital, he was conscious when leaving the scene and he will be there in 23 minutes. That is all the information she got! She needed someone to watch her kids. She was on her way to the hospital and they went to a neighbors, I ran and woke Jamey up, crying my eyes out and we left right away to go and get her kids. We got to her house and tried to put on a happy face for her kids who were so stressed and sad, as we were waiting to hear of any news! Finally after a few hours my brother Greg called. He said it wasn't good news. Jamey and I braced ourselves as he told us that he broke 6 vertebraes in his back including shattering one. He also fractured one in his neck. But worst of all he can't feel anything from the belly button down. Jamey and I just hugged and cried. Such harsh news and crazy how your life can change upside down in just seconds.
We kept the kids that whole day then finally got to go to the hospital that night. Nick was in surgery and got out at about 9. We got to see him in the ICU as he was waking up out of surgery, it was pretty traumatic to see him in that state. There was lots of family around him when he woke up so that's good, but the mood was so somber. We are so grateful though that he has function of his arms and that he is still Nick! He did hit his head pretty hard and has lots of bruising on the top of it but we are so thankful he was wearing a good helmet.
While we watched the kids I became mama to Lauren and she couldn't get enough of Jamey! She was loving on him! It was sweet, I'm so glad we could be there for them.
This picture was taken on Tuesday January 20th, all of my siblings were there that night visiting Nick and it was an amazing night. A memory I won't ever forget!
Friday January 23rd Nick officially started physical therapy! I was lucky enough to be there first hand and see him get moved into a wheel chair for the first time.
He wheeled himself down to start his workout.
Crazy that they started with just relearning how to sit. His balance is off since he can't feel anything from the waist down so he is trying to get that back. It was really humbling to see this, the little things we take for granite and don't even thing about!
The weeks following have been rough, highs and lows from both Mel and Nick. It seems like every day something new comes up that they haven't thought about. This has really made me think about what is REALLY important in life and that is family and our relations. Nothing else is going to go to heaven with us. I'm so grateful for my husband Jamey and the support he is to me. I feel as though I hold my little family closer after this awful experience. Mel and Nick, you guys are so strong and I won't ever stop praying for you! God will only give you trials that he knows you can handle.







4 comments:
So hard. How amazing to witness his first time in a chair. Your family is so supportive and amazing! They are in our prayers!
Still in shock over this all. Such a hard thing to have to deal with:(
What a blessing family is. Nick and Melanie are so lucky to have a strong support system around them. We are praying for them every single day!
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family, Michelle. Stay strong!
Post a Comment