Tuesday August 18th 2015 we headed up to Park City to ride the alpine slide with my parents and nephews. But, this story begins earlier that day.
Wells, Drew, Scarlett, and I were leaving our house to go eat lunch at my mom's house. We always leave with saying a prayer, it was my turn so I began to pray.. I had this strong feeling as I was praying to pray for protection and I literally laughed out loud. I was driving 3 streets over to eat lunch at my mom's then driving home to put my kids down for naps. Why would I need protection today?? That's what I thought in my head, but I have been really working on listening to the promptings I receive and ACTING on them, so I prayed for protection.
As you can see we were having a grand ole time as a family!
I had Drew on my lap and Jamey had Wells on his and we were going to have a friendly race down the hill. We started off and everything is great, then I see that Jamey is nearing a big hill. I see him catch some air and then it's my turn so I get focused.. next thing I see is Jamey sliding down the hill on his back with Wells laying on him and Jamey has his arms and legs hugging Wells. I think to myself, "oh my heavens they fell off the slide. Looks like they are OK and that Jamey is protecting Wells." When they finally stop, Wells is bawling but they jump back on their sled and finish up going down. It wasn't until we got to the bottom and Wells comes running over to me that I realize that I should be feared for his life. He has a hematoma jetting out an inch or more above his left eye and I can barley recognize him.. My heart dropped and we ran to the First Aid station to get checkout out, who then sent us to the local InstaCare, who THEN sent us down to Primary Children's Hospital.
It was a whirlwind of a night, the good news is that from the moment it happened Wells was himself, his behavior never changed which was the best sign. On our way to the ER Jamey pulled off on the side of the road to give him a blessing. I have never been so scared, and I feel like the blessing was actually for me, to calm my nerves!
These pictures don't do it justice of how distorted he looked. It swelled all the way back to his ear.
They put him in a neck brace for a while... precautionary
Good thing his dad was there to cheer him up.
Ultimately, they monitored him for a few hours to make sure there was no internal bleeding going on in his brain. They say with head injuries, that within the first 3 hours is usually when something bad will happen, and you can tell immediately by their behavior. LUCKY for us he was acting completely normal. They finally sent us home, the Dr. just had to check one more thing, he needed to see him walk. So Wells got up and walked, then the Dr. asked if he could skip and I said no we haven't learned that yet. But then Wells starts galloping and saying "Yeehaw Cowboy" as he is galloping around and the Dr. just started to laugh. He was obviously fine!!
The aftermath a few days later..
Although Wellington still got hurt, I am so grateful I was prompted to pray for protection that day. It all could have been much, much worse.
Jamey had lots of gnarly burns like this all over his body.













1 comment:
Oh my-Seriously heartbreaking! Im so glad that it wasn't worse!
Post a Comment