Saturday June 13, 2015
What would be one the the scariest nights of our LIVES!
We were at Sara's swimming birthday party when I started to contract at about 4:00 pm. We were in the swimming pool and I was having some bad contractions back to back that were so painful. It was weird because we were swimming so you would have thought that I would have been extra relaxed. At five I told Jamey that it was time to go to the hospital, this was it! So Jamey and my Dad gave me a priesthood blessing (Grandma Ber's best advice that I have done before every baby) and we ran home to grab our bags. Of course I had no make-up on, dirty hair, my house was a DIVE, and my bags still needed a few things/ Jamey hadn't packed a thing so we were running around like crazy trying to get all the stuff we needed gathered.
Then we were off to the hospital. Despite how white trash this picture is of me walking into the hospital the husband is BEYOND proud of it. And it's pretty amazing giving birth and seeing the before and after. We were pretty confident walking in... I have already done this 2 times it was going to be easy breezy, so I thought..
We got to the hospital right at 6:00 pm and I was dilated to a 7. I was group B strep positive so I needed to have an antibiotic in me ASAP (which I wasn't with both of the boys) then it was time to contract. I always forget how painful contractions are when your close to a 10. I took a bath and my contractions started to slow down so then we went for a walk to get things moving again.
Jamey is an amazing partner during birth
My contractions were really hot and heavy at 8:30 pm. At 9 pm I begged my midwife to break my water because I knew that baby girl would come so fast and I was so sick of contracting. At 9:10 pm she broke my water and just as I had expected, contractions were coming in fast and hard. She suspected that baby girl pooped inside me from the color of my water so she said we needed the NICU in our room just in case. HUGE BLESSING for what was about to come. Before I knew it, it was time to push. So at about 9:45 I started to push and it wasn't like my other two births, where I would get breaks in between the contractions, it was one long contraction that would not let up. I remember looking at Jamey and seeing him turn the GoPro on to film it. We have never filmed a birth but decided to do this one so I could watch it. The red recording light was ON. It was go time. Her head came out.. I was now in the ring of fire, I kept thinking that the rest of her was coming out but she was STUCK. My midwife was putting her hands up me, trying to pull her out, twisting her head, etc.. I looked up at Jamey and his face was extremely serious and he was telling me to push with everything I had. I knew something wasn't right, I remember thinking, I might not have a living and healthy baby out of this experience. I was also in the most pain of my ENTIRE LIFE. I remember laying there and praying to Heavenly Father to just let me die. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but truly the pain I was in was so intense I wanted to leave my body. Then I realized that I chose to go unmedicated and changed my prayer. I prayed that this baby girl would come out and that she would be alive. I have never prayed so hard in my life. Next thing I know the nurse on my left side was kneeling on my bedside and body slamming my stomach with all of her body weight. So we had 4 forces on our side trying to get her out, pushing from me, pulling from my midwife, shoving from the nurse, and all the unseen angels that were in the room.
There was a snap (that only the nurse heard and felt), then baby girl slid out. She was stuck for only a minute but it felt like 90 minutes.
She wasn't screaming or breathing, they quickly cut the cord and put her on me for about 2 seconds then handed her over to the NICU nurses. Such a blessing they were already standing in the room, Jamey said that within 30 seconds, 15 more nurses entered the room. They suctioned her out and she started to scream. I kept asking Jamey if she was alive and if she really was a GIRL. He confirmed both. The NICU Doctor (Dr. Obrien) came over and told me that they were going to take her away to make sure she is alright and that she probably broke her arm. Jamey saw a little "Z" in her arm, he knew for sure that it was broken. They brought her over to me so I could see her for a second, then whisked her away. Jamey went with her to keep her company but the second he left I started to sob uncontrollably! The trauma was starting to settle in. I called my mom and she of course was in the parking lot just waiting for our call. They grabbed Jamey to come back and my mom came in as well. The crying wouldn't stop..
There was a snap (that only the nurse heard and felt), then baby girl slid out. She was stuck for only a minute but it felt like 90 minutes.
She wasn't screaming or breathing, they quickly cut the cord and put her on me for about 2 seconds then handed her over to the NICU nurses. Such a blessing they were already standing in the room, Jamey said that within 30 seconds, 15 more nurses entered the room. They suctioned her out and she started to scream. I kept asking Jamey if she was alive and if she really was a GIRL. He confirmed both. The NICU Doctor (Dr. Obrien) came over and told me that they were going to take her away to make sure she is alright and that she probably broke her arm. Jamey saw a little "Z" in her arm, he knew for sure that it was broken. They brought her over to me so I could see her for a second, then whisked her away. Jamey went with her to keep her company but the second he left I started to sob uncontrollably! The trauma was starting to settle in. I called my mom and she of course was in the parking lot just waiting for our call. They grabbed Jamey to come back and my mom came in as well. The crying wouldn't stop..
Getting to hold her broken arm hand for a minute
Scarlett in the NICU, such a blessing that we were at IMC and not St. Marks like our other 2 births. Their NICU is the best in the state, under Primary Childrens.
This is how I first met my daughter, passed out on morphine. HORRENDOUS!
Scarlett Evaline Airhart
10 pounds 1 oz
23 inches long
Scarlett Evaline Airhart
10 pounds 1 oz
23 inches long
After an hour and a half I finally got to leave the delivery room and go see Scarlett. They wouldn't let me hold her and they told me to go get some rest because she wouldn't be hungry until the morning. This is a dream for any new mom, to ACTUALLY get rest but I was up every hour crying knowing that I haven't even held my baby, she was so far away from me, I hadn't nursed her, and just reliving the whole awful experience. Jamey finally just joined me on my bed to comfort me.
When we got to our recovery room we just sat and looked at each other. Jamey said "that was honestly the scariest night of my life." I agreed. It was too soon to watch the video but at the same time I really wanted to see what was happening that I couldn't see. Jamey got out the GoPro and it played for 3 seconds then stopped. It didn't record.. I am a firm believer that angels bring those babies down from heaven but they were really looking out for us and turned off our camera knowing that it would be way too much to relive those moments. It's not an easy button to push either, once it's on it's ON!
The next morning was Sunday and Scarlett looked rough and was doing worse. She had oxygen and still had lots of meds in her. I finally got to hold her and nurse her then Jamey did skin on skin. (One of our favorites with a new babe.) They said she cried lots that night but when I started to speak to her she stopped crying and followed my voice and ever since that Sunday morning she was on the uphill. It's so amazing how much babies need there parents especially their MOM!
She quickly got her oxygen tube out and started to do lots better. My parents came over and my Dad told me that 3 weeks earlier he had a dream that this delivery of mine was going to be really scary and not go as planned but he was assured that Scarlett's life, and my life, would be spared. Him and my mom prayed extra hard for us those weeks leading up to the birth. We seriously saw so many MIRACLES, it brings me to tears to think of all of them.
Sunday night we finally named her Scarlett Evaline Airhart. Evaline is my great grandma on my mom's side.
Grandma Ber meeting her
Her broken right humerous
[X-rays] such a jagged break, it took me and two nurses 40 minutes to get her first shirt on. She was in so much pain but loved my hand on her forehead and loved me talking to her.
Wellington meeting Scarlett for the first time. He couldn't stop smiling and kissing her!
Our boys loved spending time with Grandma Linda. Drew wasn't allowed into the NICU
Grandma Ber coming again to visit!
So chubby!
Monday night, June 15th she finally got to leave the NICU we were so jazzed!
Tuesday morning while we were waiting for Scarlett to pass all her tests we went on a little date to the cafeteria to have breakfast. 3 kids here we come... wish us luck!
My handsome husband cutting the sleeves on her going home outfit. Making it easier for her poor broken arm!
We finally got to give her her 1st bath. It wasn't great, you can just feel her broken arm bones jostling around in your hand. It's the worst.
So fresh and clean and wearing a BOW!! So excited to have a GIRL!
Milk I pumped in one session, I was proud!
We finally left the hospital at 2:00 pm on Tuesday June 16th SOOOO excited to get out of there.
We went to pick up our boys, kisses all around.
Andrew meeting her for the first time!
Already getting toys from her brothers.
Thanks everyone for your prayers. They were answered and we are so thrilled to have a healthy baby girl!









































No comments:
Post a Comment